THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Please Remove The Earwax.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Sophomore Blues : Survival Of The Dormers

Kalai is looking pretty nifty from where I stand right now. And I'm just across the street.

So Molave is no paradise, nor a five-star hotel. Not that I was expecting it to be. I was just hoping for something a little bit more... inhabitable, if you don't mind. I know, I know. I can just hear my former dormmates who were unfortunate enough to be overlooked by the OSH saying, "You should be thankful you got into a dormitory in the first place. You should be able to appreciate that you get to live within the campus, and not have to suffer the torment of daily commuting, or not-so-agreeable boarding houses. A lot of people would kill for your spot." Fine. Kill me.

No, this is not a hate blog. I am not throwing a bitch fit over my dormitory residency. This is merely an account of the daily life (minus the appropriate adjectives) of an authentic dormer - authentic because I get to live there for the entire semester, and not have any other house to go home to during the weekends, like some people (no offense intended, of course) - "privileged" enough (for those who are slow on the pick-up, there is some sarcasm intended here) to be living in one of the dormitories within the UP Diliman campus.

If ever anyone who reads this decides to report me to the OSH and I get kicked out of Molave, I would kick him in the groin (if he has one - if not, slapping would suffice). What will you hold against me? Inappropriate blog rant? Whatever.

Now let me begin with the CRs. And I'm not picking on the bathrooms because they're usually the first things people notice and are susceptible to (often harsh) criticism.

I have to admit that the bathrooms and comfort rooms here merit a thumb up. Newly painted, retiled, fully functional showerheads and lavatories - evidently, major renovations were done. Now, I would have made it two thumbs up, if only we could USE THEM.

There are three bathrooms in the female wing (that I know of - unless there's some hidden Harry Potter-ish Room of Requirement lurking around the corner somewhere): one is going through some renovations, one a proof of the long-standing history of Molave (haha), and another one looking brand new and (somewhat) functioning (the lavatories are still missing their water pipes, and the doors are in need on handles, if they don't mind attaching some). So basically we only have on usable bathroom, with three showers and four toilets. Now, consider these:

FACT NO. 1 : the female population of Molave is roughly around a hundred and fifty (according to my roommates calculations).

FACT NO. 2 : majority these women have 830AM and 10AM classes.

FACT NO. 3 : there are only three (3) shower cubicles available for use (for the past two weeks).

FACT NO. 4 : let me emphasize the number of shower cubicles for you.

three. tatlo. tres. tulo. 3. III. three.

FACT NO. 5 : these are women we are talking about, right?

Now, I am not a morning person at all; my former roommate would attest to the difficulty of waking me up, even at 11am. So imagine my horror, one fateful evening, when I was told the entire female wing had to share the basement bathroom for a couple of days (or so I was told at that time), or until they could fix the leak / clog in the first floor bathroom, or be done with the renovations in the central bathroom. Images of long lines flashed before my eyes and haunted my dreams that night (kidding). I dreaded waking up in the morning, but then I didn't have much choice, considering you have to let at least two months pass before skipping class for plain lazy reasons (some unwritten rule I managed to pick up from somewhere - oh wait, I think I just made this one up). And so I had to get my ass off the bed and trudge down to the basement, where stood, in all its glory, a long line of pails and towels. Only one word would summarize the mixed emotions that I had that time: UGH. I don't even think that's a word.

And so, it has been like that for the past couple of days (because I'm not sure if I should use week with or without an s). At least I got something good out of my daily morning ritual: for lack of a better thing to do (other than go back to sleep - which is BAD, because I may not be able to resist the primal urge of skipping class), I am forced to eat breakfast while waiting for my turn in the showers. That is a good thing, since eating breakfast is a good energy booster (some studies show). Yes, I am fooling myself into thinking that I am benefiting something from waking up early to fall in line. UGH.

Weekends are a different matter. For one, I have none. My only really free day is Sunday, and that doesn't even count as a weekend, since it's the beginning of a new week; they should call it weekstart (haha). And second, how good or bad they are depends upon the weather, in which case they become as unpredictable as, well, the weather.

Let me give you an example. Last Sunday, I woke up in a very dark room (and a very angry weather - Typhoon Frank was unleashing a mean rain). Thinking I must have woke up earlier than usual (force of habit; after the bathroom incident, my body clock was never the same), I checked my watch and saw 11:34AM. Maybe somebody adjusted my clock while I was sleeping, I thought, eyeing my roommate suspiciously (joke lang Kikai. hehe). Turns out she was already awake, and confirmed that it was late in the morning. By then, my stomach reminded me that it was feeding time, something it never fail to do (I swear my tummy has a mind of its own). But with no food in the dorm on Sundays, and a strong rain whiplashing outside what were we to do? Well, it was times like that that you had to put on a brave face - and walk in the rain. Appropriate expression for this one: ACK.

So, armed with jackets and umbrellas, we faced the strong wind and (wet) rain and headed for the coop, which threatened to close down by lunchtime because of the storm. We panicked, of course, and came up with a brilliant idea that would have assured our survival for the day: we hoarded food. Needless to say, that was one chocolate-y day, if you know what I mean.

And did I mention that there was a blackout at the dorm at that time? ACK.

Speaking of food. That's one good thing about Molave: the food. Yep, it's tastier. The serving not that, uhm, filling, though. But what the serving lacked, the taste made up for. YUM would be an apt term.

And there is the fact that curfew's kinda late. And that it really is efficiently located near AS (where most of my classes are) and my college.

I guess there are some perks with living in Molave, after all.

But I have yet to find any cute guys, though.

0 strangers: